Halloween night...not a soul in sight!

2:50 PM

My family and I love Halloween. We don't live in a very heavily populated area, so we always go to other neighborhoods to trick or treat. Last year we went to my best friend's house. She lives in a great subdivision for trick or treating in the small town that I grew up in. So this year we had planned to go back there. The street I grew up on, and always trick or treated on, they stopped participating in the handing out of candy years ago. The reason for this is that right down the street, around the square, the town started doing "Trunk or Treat". It's where many people from around the town come and park around the square, decorate the trunks of their cars, and hand out candy. It's been quite a popular event, that draws a large crowd, for several years now. So I was very surprised to learn they had done away with it this year, and my childhood street was going to be participating in Halloween once more! My mom called me up and told me: "bring the kids here this Halloween, everyone up and down our street are going to be handing out candy, we are very excited!" And so was I. This meant that I could be nostalgic and take my kids down memory lane with me.


Halloween arrived and my daughter couldn't contain her excitement, she woke up early and woke me up as well....yay.....I wasn't nearly as thrilled as she was. But I was excited for her. We spent the day relaxing and having family time, with my daughter exclaiming "is it time to get ready yet?!" every five minutes. Finally the time arrived and we got the kids all dressed up. Izzy the Vampire Diva, Super Lucas, and Bat Zach. Soooo cute, but I know I'm biased!

We finally arrived at my parent's house. My best friend, Megan, had decided not to hand out candy this year, so she was on her way over to have pizza and enjoy the night with us too. It was cold and rainy. We decided to let the boys hang out inside with their toys and my mom and I took Izzy out. We headed from door to door. For about five houses, everyone was very festive, dressed up, decorations on point, and excited to give candy to the children. Then the street went dark, no more houses were lit up, no more porch lights on, no more Halloween decorations to be seen. I looked at my mom "I thought you said everyone was participating this year?" And she replied "well, that's the impression I got." Literally five houses were handing out candy, and that's including my parent's house. It was a bummer and my daughter was sad to return back inside so quickly. But the good side to this story is that there was hot delicious pizza waiting for us when we returned. And also, you guessed it, homemade desserts fresh from the oven made by my mom.


My daughter was happy to be inside where it was warm and dry, and surprisingly enough, we had many trick or treaters come to the door during the night. The most fun for Izzy was handing out candy to the other kids. She was much more enthusiastic about that than she was trick or treating itself. Every time the door bell rang, she sprang up and grabbed hand fulls of candy. It was so cute.


Overall, our night was a successful one. Good food and great company. Plus, my husband hit up all the half off candy sales today. We are stocked for about 10 years on Halloween candy. Hey, you can never have enough candy on hand!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!



Hugs and Love,

You Might Also Like

0 comments