Giving Thanks...

4:54 PM



Please forgive me that I don't have any pictures to post for this blog entry, as my Thanksgiving was a bit different. It seems here lately that I can't keep my children well. Since my daughter started preschool in August, she has brought home just about every illness you could think of. It's been pitiful to watch my children be sick and pass it back and forth to each other. Normally they are just your run of the mill colds, but this most recent one was a doozy.

I feel like all I do is write about my kids not feeling well. I guess it's that time of year. Last Friday, as I was putting my daughter to bed, she was complaining of not feeling well. She usually never says that, so I figured she was coming down with something. Then the next morning, she was running a low grade fever and was sluggish. By nightfall her temp had reached 102.5 and she was so tired and had a horribly runny nose. I gave her two different types of meds and put her to bed. Over a week later, she still isn't completely well, her cough is awful, but her fever is gone and she is back to acting normal.

So that brings us to Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. She was still pretty sick and my boys were starting to run fevers as well. We normally go to my parent's house for Thanksgiving dinner with the rest of my family, but I knew this year we'd have to miss it. I decided to rise to the occasion and cook a Thanksgiving meal for the first time (hey I'm young and have never had to, don't judge me ;). I went to the store and bought everything I'd need the night before Thanksgiving. You'd be surprised at how many people actually do their shopping the night before, or at least I was. It made me not feel so crazy.

I made a sliced honey cured ham, sweet potato casserole, sage and onion dressing, deviled eggs, rolls, and the family favorite peanut butter balls. Everything, aside from the dressing, turned out well and we had a nice family Thanksgiving meal. It wasn't as good as Mom's, but it was good enough. And the peanut butter balls were amazing. After cleaning everything up I was wore out. Props to all those who do all their family's cooking for the holidays each year. I hope I don't have to do it again for a while. I was thankful for a meal and to be home with my family though, so I was happy overall. Just sad that my kiddos were feeling so bad.

We all laid down and watched a movie together and today we put out the Christmas decorations. My husband has had a nice long weekend off, and that has been great. So I would say, other than the illness, we had a great Thanksgiving and now we are looking forward to Christmas! I hope everyone out there had a great day and got to eat lots of ham and turkey. God Bless you all and give thanks for your blessings!

I will be writing another blog post soon. :)

Hugs and Love,

You Might Also Like

0 comments