Blonde to Brunette?!

10:12 PM

Have you ever just really wanted to change something about yourself but have always been too scared to do it?! Well I have, and I wanted to share my experience. 

So people are probably thinking, oh em gee...it's just hair, no big deal right? Well in the grand scheme of things, no, it is a totally silly thing to stress over. But this is me we are talking about here, Stresser Extraordinaire. My mother really should've named me Allison Stress, but moving on... I have been a blondie my ENTIRE life. Literally, since birth my hair has been blonde. As I have gotten older it has changed. And not for the better. It's turned into this dirty dishwater blonde that resembles more of pond water than hair. I have always bleached it to a lighter blonde so that it looks decent and it has always suited me quite well. I am a very fair complected person. Okay that's generous, I'm a straight up ghost most of the time, so blonde hair with my blue eyes is natural for me. The most I've ever changed it is going to a dark blonde which washed me out. Sooo....I decided to just go straight brunette. No more playing around for this girl, I just bit the bullet! 

Now, if you are wondering why I even wanted to change it in the first place, that's a good question. If you are reading this and you are female, then you probably know what bleaching does to your hair. Even though I was already blonde and bleaching it to a lighter shade, it was really hurting my hair. It felt like I was brushing straw everyday and my roots were coming in quite dark and it was hard to maintain. I decided to do this in an attempt at getting my hair to a healthier state. 

So it was decided and I was off to the drugstore to purchase hair color! I know a lot of you are probably thinking "Why in the world didn't she just go to a salon?" That's also a good question, but one that is easily answered. I stay home with three kids everyday, I barely step foot out of this house once every 2 weeks, this was something I decided I could conquer at home. Plus, it saves money, which is always running short around here. 

I picked a color and headed home, excited actually, to try this new do! I asked my husband to watch the kids and I locked myself in the bathroom with a towel and a prayer. I followed the steps exactly and did as I was instructed to do. I waited the 30 minutes, rinsed, looked in the mirror and WHAAAA???? This was not brown, this was RED. Yes, I had forgotten that my hair has underlying red tones and this dye really brought it out and I mean really. I took a deep breath and blew it dry. Then I asked my husband what he thought. "Oh it looks great honey!" Hmmm, I know he would tell me the truth. And for the record, it actually grew on me. I ended up coloring it again, to a medium brown instead of light brown (try Vidal Sassoon's Pro Series in Medium Brown 5 to achieve my look below). It was much better. I can also actually tell a difference in the health of my hair. It is much softer and the tangles have diminished as well. So I am happy overall with my decision to go darker and it's a perfect change for the fall season.

Now when my blonde roots start coming in....that will probably be quite a sight.

Moral of the story: even if you are scared to try something new, just do it! You might just be happy you did! :)


Hugs and Love,

You Might Also Like

0 comments